Restraining Order Attorney in Harris County, Texas
If you believe you are or your property is in danger, work with your attorney to file the necessary paperwork to request a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO). A TRO is in effect for two weeks once it has been approved. At that time a hearing will be held to determine if it needs to be extended. At the Law Offices of Wendy Wood, we help clients file for restraining orders and also represent them at the follow-up hearing.
If you or your children are being harassed, stalked, or threatened by someone, contact restraining order lawyer Wendy Wood in Harris County, Texas today to schedule an appointment and learn how we can help you.
File Harassment and Stalking Charges and Seek a Restraining Order in Houston, Texas, With the Help of Our Lawyer
While a restraining order may not be a fool-proof guarantor of safety, it does require the following from the person it is directed against:
- The person designated by the restraining order cannot:
- communicate with you in a vulgar or offensive manner;
- threaten you — in person, by telephone or in any type of writing;
- cause you bodily harm;
- damage, destroy, sell or give away your property;
- incur any debt, except for very limited purposes.
- A restraining order will not affect the payment of child support.
- Child custody or visitation arrangements may be modified if the person designated in a restraining order has visitation rights to, or joint custody of, your children.
Extending a Restraining Order
A judge may review your case to decide whether a restraining order should be extended, approximately two weeks after a TRO is issued. The person against whom the restraining order is issued will have an opportunity to provide witnesses or any evidence that challenges the basis for the restraining order.
Our office gathers witness statements of our own to establish your case for extending the restraining order. We also scrutinize the history and criminal record of the person that the restraining order is against.
Contact Houston and Bryan, Texas, Restraining Order Attorney Wendy Wood
Don't wait until your ex harms you or your children — contact harassment and stalking charges and restraining order attorney Wendy Wood today to learn how we can help you.