Jump To Navigation

Parental Relocation Lawyer

Protect Your Parental Rights in Texas Relocation Cases

Your rights to shared child custody or a regular visitation schedule are based on a lot of practical details as of the time of the divorce decree. What are your work hours? Where do you live? Where do the children go to school? A parental relocation proposal can throw these practical considerations to the curb. If after the divorce your ex proposes a moveaway to a distant city or another state, your own rights as a parent are in serious jeopardy.

For practical advice about your options in the face of a parental moveaway proposal, or if you're the parent seeking relocation on fair terms, contact the Law Offices of Wendy Wood to speak to a Houston parental relocation lawyer. We can protect your interests whether the proposed move concerns relocation to another part of Texas, another time zone, or another continent.

Parents are entitled to 60 days' notice of a proposed parental relocation

If you're the parent proposing relocation, it's up to you to give the other parent at least 60 days' notice. Better yet, you'll disclose your plans before that, as soon as they come into focus. You need to take into account the other parents' visitation and custody rights, and you need to show as well that the move is in the child's best interests. Texas law presumes that a child needs to maintain stable and healthy relationships with both parents, and it's easy to see that a long-distance move can endanger that interest.

If you're the parent left behind, Texas family law attorney Wendy Wood can help you define your objectives and present them to the other parent and the court. A Texas family court judge has a lot of discretion for balancing your parental rights with those of the other parent and the interests of the children involved.

The court can deny the relocation proposal, adjust child support obligations to accommodate new travel expenses for extended visitation, or even order that the relocating parent will need to leave the children behind with the other parent.

Call 713-893-1882 (Houston office) or 979-779-9663 (Bryan office) to discuss your case

As an experienced and energetic lawyer, Wendy Wood can give you a good idea of the legal considerations that bear on your situation, and she can help you achieve the most favorable possible result under your circumstances. For a free consultation about the best way to resolve problems related to a proposed parent-child relocation following a divorce, contact the Law Offices of Wendy Wood in Houston or Bryan.

"I proudly and efficiently handle all types of family law issues. Please feel free to contact me to discuss your family law questions and how my firm may help you resolve them."
contact us
Areas of Focus Contact Us Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy