Jump To Navigation

Houston Grandparents' Rights Lawyer

When grandparents are estranged from their adult children or when a divorce settlement awards custody of grandchildren to a former daughter or son-in-law, grandparents may be denied access to their grandchildren. There are, however, certain circumstances under which grandparents can petition for, and receive visitation rights through the court. Since the court will act to protect what it believes to be the best interests of a child, grandparents must overcome the presumption that a parent who denies grandparents access to a grandchild is acting in the best interests of the child. Here, a psychological evaluation or in-home study may be ordered by the court and other kinds of information may be reviewed as well. At the Law Office of Wendy Wood, we help grandparents understand and evaluate their options when establishing visitation or custody rights regarding their grandchildren.

If you're a grandparent and would like visitation time with your grandchild, contact Houston grandparents' rights attorney Wendy Wood today and schedule an appointment to learn how we can help you.

Grandparents' Rights and Visitation with a Grandchild

In general, grandparents of Texas grandchildren have legal grounds to request visitation if:

  • When visitation is requested, at least one of the child's parents has not had his or her rights terminated;
  • The grandparents overcome the presumption that the parent is acting in the grandchild's best interest when denying visitation because it would significantly impair the child's physical health or emotional well-being; and
  • The grandparent requesting visitation is a parent of a parent of the grandchild, and that child has been in jail for the previous 3 months; or is incompetent; or has passed away; or does not have actual or court ordered visitation with the child.

Contact Grandparent Rights Lawyer Wendy Wood Today

Understanding and asserting your rights as a grandparent can be confusing if you are unfamiliar with Texas family law. Additionally, just because the parent of your grandchildren claims to have spoken to a lawyer who told them you don't have grounds for establishing visitation, doesn't make it so. To schedule an appointment and learn how we can help you, contact family law attorney Wendy Wood today.

"I proudly and efficiently handle all types of family law issues. Please feel free to contact me to discuss your family law questions and how my firm may help you resolve them."
contact us
Areas of Focus Contact Us Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy